Sunday, August 18, 2019

1306 Penn Avenue Home, Wilkinsburg



Today's post comes to you thanks to someone who sent me a message about 1306 Penn Avenue. He wanted to confirm that this now-vacant house is a Scheibler house.

It is. It was built in 1909 for Dr. James M. McNall. At the time, it had a garage, which has since been demolished. This was during the period in which Scheibler's homes were modest, but still included sophisticated artistic details and stunning art glass. In his book The Progressive Architecture of Frederick G. Scheibler, Martin Aurand uses a photo of a window in this house to exemplify how Scheibler "embraced the seeming dichotomy of nature vis-à-vis technology, as he revealed by his art-glass irises and I-beam lintels."


from The Progressive Architecture of Frederick G. Scheibler by Martin Aurand

It appears that the most recent inhabitant has passed away, and the property is becoming a bit overgrown.


I'm grateful to the reader for sending me the following photos so we can check out the details. When I asked him if he could send me a picture, he offered me 13! Now you can enjoy them too and imagine the thrill of exploring it in person! They have a bit of a haunted quality as the house has been left alone for a while.













2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting. I found out my grandmother lived in this home ..We are so fortunate to have technology available to find information like this. My mom had told me about this home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment! If you find any more information about the home, be sure to share it! Thank you again. Jolene

      Delete