Saturday, April 27, 2013

225 - 233 Hay Street, townhouses - Scheibler-like?

We met some friendly cats on today's treasure hunt.






Without planning it, a side effect of this project has been that Porter has peed on every Scheibler home in Pittsburgh! 

I originally posted these townhouses as Scheibler buildings, but now, I'm not convinced. They are not listed in Martin Aurand's catalogue in The Progressive Architecture of Frederick G. Scheibler. On closer inspection, I'm not sure that they are Scheiblers, even though Regent Square Rentals claims that they are.

Here's what I captured, anyway:

Approaching Hay Street from Biddle...






These properties have basements that exit into the back lawn.

Hey kitties!




Regent Square Rentals posted these photos of the interior. I did not take these photos.









3 comments:

  1. Hi there! I just scoured your entire archive because I'm a bit of a Scheibler fiend, too. I was wondering if you knew anything about the two apartment buildings facing each other on the corner of Pennwood Avenue & Whitney Avenue in Wilkinsburg? My husband and I used to live in 623 Whitney, and the details in our apartment were so ridiculously similar to those from interior pictures you have posted. We had the built-in cabinets, window seats, exposed beams in the ceiling. Anyways, I could never find out whether or not it was related to Scheibler or if it was just a contemporary. The place across the street was rumored to be built by Scheibler's apprentices - have you read anything about them? Great blog!
    Lilyl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you so much for reading my blog! I know just the buildings you mean on Whitney. I toured one of them when there was a condo for sale inside. I know what you mean by the beautiful details. I believe the one I saw had, among other things, a lavish dressing table! But I don't believe they are Scheibler homes and they do not appear on his official list. His signature decorations are so very specific, and I didn't recognize his signature twists inside. You give me a great idea for my next blog though--find out who his contemporaries were and start the next treasure hunt!

      Delete
    2. Hi Lily, One of the buildings you mentioned has a condo for sale. You're right, it's exactly like a Scheibler. I need to find out who the architect was! Here's a link with photos:

      http://www.pittsburghmoves.com/property/details/226140/MLS-964902/623-Whitney-Avenue-Nocity-PA-15221.aspx?SearchID=15581269&RowNum=5&StateID=44&RegionID=0&IsRegularPS=True&IsSold=False

      Delete